Followers

Friday 13 April 2012

Review: MAC Pro longwear foundation


Some FOTD's where I've used MAC pro longwear


I've been a long time fan of MAC foundations. In fact, it was the first HE brand I really got into and still love. I've worked my way through many a foundation of theirs, from tinted moisturiser as a teen through studio fix fluid (which was a staple of mine for a long time) and now pro longwear.

The main reason I made the jump from studio fix to pro longwear was more of a longevity issue. Studio fix does stay put for about 8-10 hours on me, but does require blotting and touch ups. In my day job (in "real life" I'm a teacher!) I need my MU to stay put for a good 12 hours and not need touch ups. I decided to go with MAC's pro longwear rather than something like Revlon colorstay or Estee Lauder Double Wear as I've worn MAC for a long time and find that it doesn't irritate my skin, and I know I'll get a good shade match - despite some mutterings I hear of MAC foundations causing breakouts for some, it's not a problem I've had despite being blemish prone, and their shade range really is second to none.

I've been wearing the MAC pro longwear for about 2-3 months now in NC15, which is the same shade I wear for studio fix fluid and the studio fix + foundation compact. Some may find that this foundation runs a touch darker in the pro longwear line than say, studio fix or studio sculpt, but that actually suits me better! However, I have noticed that there is a slightly more limited shade range for the pro longwear range at present.

So, down to the consistency and quality of the foundation. It comes out in quite small pumps - smaller than the pump that is available for studio fix - so I need 2-3 pumps for my whole face. It is a similar consistency but it sets much faster. Not a problem so long as you work on one area of your face at a time. While it sets quickly, it doesn't feel sticky or tacky, and the benefit of it setting like this is that it doesn't transfer! (something which my other half will probably be eternally grateful for)

It's quite easy to apply and blend, but beware that you do need to really make sure you blend this foundation! It's not one of those that you can slap on and walk out the door. I apply mine with a MAC 190 brush and it goes on really well. If there are any stubborn bits, I whizz over them with clean fingers or buff lightly with a buffing brush

The foundation gives a lovely matte finish - though this might not be a great one for ladies who are a fan of the dewier finish. It is matte - with no dewiness, shimmer, sheerness etc. But obviously, a bit of highlighter afterwards or even the addition of a liquid highlighter to the foundation like the MAC Strobe cream should take care of this. I find this matte finish really does last all day for me. After about 10-11 hours I see a bit of fade and shine but nothing horrendous or overly noticeable. If I'm having a super long day, I just top it up with some studio fix + powder. Seems pretty good at controlling oilies.

The coverage itself is definitely more medium than full, but that being said, it is buildable, contrary to some other reviews. I often build a little bit up in a second layer around my nose and chin because I'm quite red there, and it's easily done as each section dries and sets quite quickly.

Word of warning to anyone with dry skin - this foundation does accentuate dry bits! Regular exfoliation and moisturising is a must with this one.

In terms of how it feels, the skin doesn't look or feel too heavy or cakey with this on. And when I remove it after 12-15 hours of wear, lots of it comes off! So in short, make sure you remove it thoroughly, because it is so longwearing, I imagine it would cause breakouts if not removed thoroughly

All in all a good buy, but I would suggest getting to a MAC store or counter to swatch and also a tester if you are acne prone


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've been contemplating getting this lately, and you've inspired me to pick up a sample :)

    ReplyDelete